[tz] America/Metlakatla now follows Alaska

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 10 18:51:14 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 10:12 AM, TechOps wrote:
> Basically I'm wondering what the standard trickle-down duration is...
> days, weeks, or months.

In the past, the answer has been "months", because it takes time to
publish a new tz package, more time to get the upstream vendors to apply
it, still more time to get this to trickle through to downstream
suppliers, and so forth. We're trying to encourage everybody to get it
down to "weeks" but we're not there yet. So even if we were to publish a
new tz package today, it'd take months for it to propagate to many devices.

In the meantime, you can set your timezone to Alaska/Anchorage, or set
your location to that of Anchorage, and that should work around the
problem. For example, if you using Google Chrome or Firefox, you can
fake your location as follows:

http://www.baatkar.com/2015/04/how-to-fake-your-location-in-google.html

For a more-interesting approach you can do what Netflix pirates do when
they bypass geolocation checking, but this will put you on thin ice.