[tz] America/Metlakatla now follows Alaska

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 10 19:06:50 UTC 2015

On Nov 10, 2015, at 10:51 AM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 11/10/2015 10:12 AM, TechOps wrote:
>> Basically I'm wondering what the standard trickle-down duration is... days, weeks, or months.
>
> In the past, the answer has been "months", because it takes time to publish a new tz package, more time to get the upstream vendors to apply it, still more time to get this to trickle through to downstream suppliers, and so forth. We're trying to encourage everybody to get it down to "weeks" but we're not there yet. So even if we were to publish a new tz package today, it'd take months for it to propagate to many devices.

The next trains to leave Apple Station are iOS 9.2 and OS X 10.11.2.  I don't know whether the updates will make it into those releases, or when they'll be released (as I noted in my previous mail, they include a number of changes unrelated to time zones, so they'll have to wait for those changes to be beta-tested and finalized).

> In the meantime, you can set your timezone to Alaska/Anchorage, or set your location to that of Anchorage, and that should work around the problem.

For iOS, open up the Settings app, select "General", select "Date & Time", turn off "Set Automatically", type "anchorage" into the text box to get "Anchorage, U.S.A.", and select that.

For OS X, open up the System Preferences app, select "Date & Time", select "Time Zone", run off "Set time zone automatically using current location", type "anchorage" into the "Closest City" box to get "Anchorage, AK - United States", and use that.