[tz] efele.net/tz maps updated

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Wed Nov 11 02:13:28 UTC 2015

Eric M.,

Matt is correct.  You should adjust your map such that the northern boundary of  America/Dawson_Creek aligns with the northern boundary of the Peace River Regional District (PRRD).

This is a map that I created back in 2011; I shared it on this same mailing list at the time.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=212137821026080676505.00049e218aa6e439340d4

The green area represents the entire Peace River Regional District (PRRD).

The red outline represents my definition of the  Peace River time zone area (a.k.a. America/Dawson_Creek).

Questions have recently been asked about the  western boundary for America/Dawson_Creek.

Specifically, Steve Jones recently asked me in a separate e-mail why my map does not extend the Peace River time zone area (America/Dawson_Creek) west to include the entire PRRD.

Steve apparently had a conversation with the GIS Coordinator for the PRRD; Steve was told that “full MST applies to the entire PRRD”.

I do not agree with the statement that full MST (year-round Mountain Standard Time) applies to the entire PRRD.

There is one (and only one) community in the western half of the PRRD;  it is the isolated community of Fort Ware (also known as Kwadacha).  It has a population of about 270.

Wikipedia states that Mountain Time is observed year-round in  “most of Peace River Regional District (except Fort Ware)”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Canada#Mountain_Time_Zone

I phoned the Kwadacha Nation Band Office today. The office is located in Fort Ware.  I spoke with a lady who told me that Fort Ware keeps the clocks in sync with Vancouver (PST/PDT).  Wikipedia is therefore correct.

When I created my map in 2011, I drew the time zone boundary though the Muskwa and Hart mountain ranges; that correctly put Fort Ware on the west side of the boundary and all other communities in the PRRD on the east side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskwa_Ranges

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_Ranges

I used topographical maps to try and keep the line running right along the watershed boundaries.  The watershed boundaries are (by definition) always high up in the mountains where few people venture.

I don’t see any reason to make any changes to my map.  People are still free to use it, copy it, or ignore it as they see fit!

And for those that are interested:

Fort Ware is one of the most remote Canadian communities outside of the Artic.

The only land based connection to rest of the world is a 400km logging road that takes 8 to 10 hours to navigate.

I cannot say I have ever made the trip myself.

-chris