[tz] Official definition and origin of the term "Central European Time"

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Sat Oct 24 08:00:06 UTC 2015

Hi Even,

My understanding is that there is no specific European directive that
requires that a country use a particular offset, year round.  However,
whatever the country uses, there *is* a directive that states precisely
when summertime begins and ends:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32000L0084:EN:NOT

This is reflected in the EU rules that European entries then generally
make use of in the database.

As far as the timezone database is concerned, code does not reference
the term "Central European Time".  A short name such as "CE%sT" is not
official anything but convenience, and is certainly not unique.

Eliot