[tz] Version in zoneinfo files?

Paul G paul at ganssle.io
Sat Oct 24 16:21:27 UTC 2015

My understanding is that while the release version e.g. 2014i, etc, is
in the tzdata makefile, the binary output by zoneinfo does not have any
sort of metadata included. Is this accurate? Is there any way to tell
from the zoneinfo output what version was used to generate it?

If not, I would like to suggest that a VERSION or METADATA file be added
to the zoneinfo output. Otherwise you end up having to bundle your own
metadata file along with the zoneinfo (which means that two applications
that both consume zic output may each have to bundle their own binary,
which can cause problems as two applications with different release
cycles go out of sync from one another).