[tz] Version in zoneinfo files?

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Sun Oct 25 17:51:06 UTC 2015

On 25 October 2015 at 13:26, Paul G <paul at ganssle.io> wrote:

> > I think, as Paul E suggests, keeping the version external is a good
> choice here.   It encourages people to use whatever the platform provides
> to find out the exact, local version information.   If anyone knows how to
> find out what version of tzdata is installed on this macbook I’d love to
> know :)
>
> I think this perfectly illustrates the reason why the versioning should be
> at the zic level and not downstream.

There's also the separate matter that tzcode and tzdata are separate and
largely independent.  Although there have been a few breaking changes to
the data format over the years, in principle, there's little reason someone
couldn't use a 2014j zic to compile 2015g data, and I suspect that sort of
thing actually happens somewhat often.

--
Tim Parenti