[tz] Version in zoneinfo files?

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Tue Oct 27 19:32:03 UTC 2015

On 26 October 2015 at 21:50, Bradley White <bww at acm.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Is this just something to let people know whether they have an up-to-date
>> version of the tzdb files or not?
>>

> Yes, although I think of it simply as let people know what version of a
> tzdb file they have.  (Whether that is the latest version is a separate
> question.)
>
> I would even propose an additional self-identification step: include the
> zone name in tzdb file.  Then you could tell, for example, where
> /etc/localtime came from.

I'd love to see both of these, they're something we wanted when I wrote the
Qt support for time zones. Writing a cross-platform / cross-distro library
you quickly learn how hard it can be to figure out what the system time
zone is, e.g. for translations of names, or so a calendar app can embed it
in a n event invitation. We have workarounds for most distros, but having
it in the file itself would make it so much easier. We also have users
writing calendar apps who would like to know metadata about the tzdb the
system uses, i.e. version, release date, etc.

John.