[tz] Was America/Aruba obsoleted and replaced

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 29 20:16:31 UTC 2015

On 09/29/2015 06:50 AM, kzimmermann at ups.com wrote:
>  When was theTime Zone Name (TznGeoRefTe) for America/Aruba obsoleted?

Sorry, I don't know what a TznGeoRefTe is; that notion is not part of
tzdata.  I expect the notion comes from some downstream use of tzdata,
and perhaps you could ask whoever is in charge of that downstream
version what happened to Aruba in their downstream copy.

In tzdata America/Aruba is still there, and is an alias for
America/Curacao.  This alias was created in tzdata release 2013e dated
2013-09-19 23:50:04 -0700.  Formerly America/Aruba was a separate zone,
but its data were unreliable and out of scope for tzdata so it was
turned into a link.  Notification for the change is in the NEWS file
distributed as part of tzdata.

> Are all countries identified in IANA with a Time Zone Name (TznGeoRefTe)?

No, not every country with a two-letter country code has a time zone
identifier.  For example, Bouvet Island (country code BV) has no time
zone identifier, as it's uninhabited.  Although we formerly tried to
give every country an identifier, counterexamples like Bouvet and
political disputes about what constitutes a "country" have put something
of a damper on that idea, and the topic is controversial.