[tz] Sri Lanka Standard Time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 12 16:27:25 UTC 2016

On 04/12/2016 09:04 AM, Matt Johnson wrote:
>  From the links I gave earlier, it seems the government is indeed using SLST.

Some government agencies may be calling it "Sri Lanka Standard Time"
when they're issuing an English-Language press release about the issue,
but they have not standardized on "SLST" as an English-language
abbreviation for the time, and none of the sources I've seen for "SLST"
seem reliable. In particular, the Wikipedia entry appears to have just
made up the abbreviation, as the source it sites does not mention the
abbreviation.

We formerly used "LKT" to abbreviate Sri Lanka time; this was our own
invention too. I'm inclined to undo this invention and not use any
invented name until something gets to be reasonably standard in
real-world use (which may be never, and that's OK too).