[tz] Montreal timezone

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:27:34 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016, at 22:47, Vincent Tourneyrie wrote:
> The problem is that this move to a secondary timezone leads to tons of
> problems and hours of corrections and explanation (mainly due to quick
> and dirty implementations of TZ but I cannot blame half of the developers
> of the planet).
> The fact that PHP uses this list expose this timezone list to the public.

PHP is a back-end programming language, and doesn't expose anything to
the public. I assume you are referring to an application written in PHP.
Why does your program expose the timezone names instead of the
descriptions from zone.tab - in this case, the current description of
America/Toronto is "Eastern - ON, QC (most areas)"? Also, even for a
program that does expose timezone names, it's not clear why you can't
still display America/Montreal, which appears as a symbolic link created
by the backward compatibility file.