[tz] Proposal: validation text file with releases

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:33:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016, at 13:18, Paul Eggert wrote:
> One way forward here would be to give zdump more options to let the user
> specify the format. That way, everybody could use their own favorite
> format.

You've still got to pick a paradigm: print transitions, print intervals,
or print individual moments (which can be regarded as having been
selected before or after a transition, or as the start or end of an
interval)

> It might also be nice to output "PST8PDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0" at the end,
> instead of that repetitive list of lines starting with the year 2007.

This may not be available for all timezones, and it's certainly not
available (not without a work) if the localtime implementation is
blackboxed as it is now in zdump. I suppose you could infer it,
technically.