[tz] Proposal: validation text file with releases

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Fri Apr 29 06:12:31 UTC 2016

I'd be perfectly happy with zdump gaining more display options, but I think
there's still huge benefit in deciding on one *canonical* format for
validation. It means that single format can be distributed rather than
everyone having to build and run zic themselves, just to get output that
can be centrally distributed. (Even if it isn't part of the IANA
distribution, I can host that canonical format - not ideal, but better than
nothing.) With a to-the-byte canonical format, I'm also happy to put the
SHA-1 hashes up.

As one point I suspect we could all agree on: assuming there is to be a
canonical format, should we use "\n" as the line separator? (My current
format uses \r\n, but I think that's likely to cause more pain than it
alleviates.)

Jon