[tz] Request to add entry to "Programmatic interfaces that map geographical coordinates"

Gilmore Davidson gilmoreorless at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 21:54:44 UTC 2016

I keep a bit of an eye on the Node.js ecosystem for tz-related projects, and I also recommend not linking to the “timezone” keyword page on npmjs.com

Many projects listed on that page are API wrappers of the moment-timezone project, and some are integration points for frontend frameworks. Many others are small scripts written by people who clearly haven’t encountered the ambiguities and ever-changing definitions that happen when dealing with time zones. For example, I know of one package that simply returns the UTC offset of a named time zone, but completely fails to account for daylight saving time.

A low barrier to entry means digging a bit to find the good stuff. When it comes to the Node ecosystem, a curated list of known high-quality projects is always better than linking to a keyword search.