[tz] Alberta MLA to table bill aimed at ending DST

Sun Dec 18 19:38:37 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-18 11:25, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:13:38 -0800
>     From:        merlyn at stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
>
>> I can't tell you how many crazy people I've dealt with who claim
>> "the US should just stay on DST all year... I really hate coming
>> home from work in the dark." Head bang on desk.

Probably less positive impact of DST on those in sub-tropical
southern latitudes because only about 12 hours daylight is available
year round, or those of us in more northerly latitudes in North
America and Northern Europe, where we get a lot more summer daylight
hours and a lot fewer winter daylight hours. DST is best for those in
the "Goldilocks" latitudes where it can allow more evening daylight
hours, assuming one can leave work early enough to see it.

> They're actually less stupid than you imply - it can be almost
> impossible for many employers to alter their employees work times,
> because they're all intertwined with all kinds of external
> relationships, and attempting to adjust them all, at the same time,
> would be a task beyond comprehension - but it is easy to alter the
> position of the sun wrt the value shown on the clock - for everyone -
> at the stroke of a pen.

If I understand correctly what you're saying, I must disagree, as
anyone involved in North American dealing with stocks, currencies,
commodities, energy, works from before 9ET until after 3ET,
regardless of where they are across the country, as a prerequisite
for being able to do their jobs, dictated by Eastern market times.
It is likely that other jobs, like distributors dealing with
suppliers based primarily on either East or West coasts, or
internationally, have similar pragmatic constraints on working hours
when they can be effective, and have to arrange their lives around
that.
DST probably had most benefit for bureaucracies like government when
work was performed in naturally lit spaces, but most people now work
in buildings lit artificially from 06.00-18.00 at least, often later
or around the clock, except where building managers have budgets to
enable reduction of after hours energy use.