[tz] Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Feb 13 01:14:54 UTC 2016

On 02/12/2016 05:07 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:
> Are we to carry this convention into other zones, and if so, what will
> we do for half-hour or 45-minute zones?

Yes, the idea is to experiment with this approach in the new zones
(since they have no backwards-compatibility concerns) before using it in
other zones. For non-hour zones I expect that we can use abbreviations
like +05:45.

> How do you feel about the RTZ1, RTZ2, etc. convention?   Or the MSK+1,
> MSK+2, etc. convention that seems to actually be used in Russia?

tzdata is supposed to contain only English-language abbreviations.
English text mostly just uses UTC offsets for these zones, except
perhaps for "MSK". The other abbreviations are all purely our invention,
if memory serves.