[tz] Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:37:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016, at 16:53, Paul Eggert wrote:
> In the tz database, rather than give the new zone an invented
> abbreviation like "ASTT" that does not correspond to existing practice,
> I'd like to get out of the name-inventing business and just use "+04".

AFAIK, Russian actual existing practice is to name relative to _Moscow_
time - I'd argue it should be MSK+1, and that all other Russian zones
should be renamed likewise. AIUI historically the tz project has been
hesitant to use names of the form [Name][+/-][Number] (such as UTC+04)
because of the theory that someone might try to paste it directly into
their timezone (the result of which is a timezone called UTC with offset
-04:00)... maybe it should be re-examined whether this is sensible in
today's environment.