[tz] Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Mon Feb 15 17:14:57 UTC 2016

Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> and it's intended to indicate lower precision.

> I don't have this sense for 2-digit zones. I would not expect (and have
> never seen) India's time zone being listed as "+06" because someone felt
> like rounding +0530 up.

Oh, sorry, they changed this between the 1993 and 1998 versions of ISO
8601 and I didn't think to check the later version since the 1993 version
was closer at-hand.

The 1993 edition says:

    Omitting the minutes implies a lower precision for the time zone
    value, and is independent of the time value to which the zone is
    attached.

but that language appears to be gone in the 1998 edition.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>