[tz] inventing zone abbreviations (was: Re: Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone)

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Tue Feb 16 09:24:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

> And, yes, I am at least half serious, if not more.  Expecting
> the tzdb maintainers to pick abbreviations for regions  from
> which I suspect most of us don't come, and speaking languages
> that I suspect most of us don't speak, and have them be somehow
> appropriate is probably unwise.

I wouldn't be that pesimistic ... for example, in my country (Czech
Republic), "CET" and "CEST" fit pretty well as we do use "středoevropský
(letní) čas" which isn't that hard to associate and understand as it
translates exactly as "Central European (Summer) Time"

if we are aware that Russia is used to "Москва+X", why not go with "MSK+??"
(except for breaking backwards compatibility as different names were
invented in the past)

if we are unaware ... well, I don't see how inventing something that could
be understood at least in English, if not for locals, makes the situation
any worse than using random string

sorry, I'm a bit late to the party, so I may have missed something (links
to archives welcome), but I can't understand what problem are we trying to
solve now? - the zone name is completely irrelevant to software, it is to
help people, and for me (not statistically significant, right? :-)) it is
thousands times better to read "CET" or "CEST" than "+01" and "+02"
respectively

K.

--
Karel Volný