[tz] Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone

Matt Johnson mj1856 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 16 23:08:11 UTC 2016

> Which is equally ridiculous! People in Udmurtia surely don't think of
> themselves as being on Samara time. It'd be like a Missourian saying
> that Missouri is on Dallas time.

I don't think it's so unheard of.  Don't people in China use the term "Beijing Time"?  Even in the US, I think if you said "New York Time", people would know you meant Eastern.

> > perhaps this is a transition which should be planned out more and
> > rolled-out together across a wider set of zones once our toolchain can
> > support it.
>
> It would be easy to propose a patch to roll out the change to dozens of
> zones right away; no tool-change should be needed. My suggestion is more
> conservative: use the new-style abbreviations in only a few new zones at
> first, to give users a chance to try out the new abbreviations without
> changing the behavior of existing settings.

I can't speak for everyone, but my preference would be for consistency across all entries.  While it may seem to have less impact to only do this for new zones, that doesn't relieve library authors, platform vendors, etc. from having to contend with both sets of data.
Also, it would help to define the problem more clearly by understanding the current usage of these abbreviations.  Where are they *actually* needed?  In other words, in what use case(s) would I actually want to use abbreviations from TZDB instead of those from CLDR?
What would be the consequence of just removing the column entirely?  (ok, maybe too drastic, but just for discussion)