[tz] NIST leap-second file not yet updated

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Thu Feb 18 00:16:09 UTC 2016

On 17 February 2016 at 19:09, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> How about the attached patch? It's the simplest and shortest sentence I
> can think of that would work for us.

As Clive pointed out in
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-February/023183.html, "public domain"
is a US-specific construct.  Even if it's fairly clear to those outside the
US what it means, we should probably use something more broadly applicable,
or simply clarify a bit further, e.g., "This file is in the public domain
and may be freely used for any purpose."

> The sentence that Clive D.W. Feather proposed is problematic, as it might
> easily be construed to forbid the processing that our Makefile needs to do
> with the file. We need something that clearly says it's OK for us to take
> the leap-second data in the file and do whatever we want with it.

Good point.

--
Tim Parenti