[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Jun 2 08:11:19 UTC 2016

Paul Eggert wrote:
> Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > But these abbreviations are already sanctified by a long tradition.
>
> Not really. And I have some experience in this, as I am the one who *invented*
> that "long tradition", and I've seen it not catch on.

Sources like the ones below are not good enough?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasnoyarsk_Time
https://ru.flightaware.com/live/airport/UNKL
https://savvytime.com/converter/btt-to-krat

In fact, I have obtained them just from googling for "KRAT NOVT",
there are thousands.

> > When are you planning to migrate the abbreviations like EST or HST?
>
> EST and HST have been commonly used by reliable English-language sources for
> decades. We did not invent these abbreviations, and don't plan to remove them.

I also suggest you please don't remove the abbreviations which are
already there and used by thousands of systems and sites. This is
Bolshevism.

I am not saying anymore that Tomsk or some new addition to the
database should trigger the creation of a brand-new abbreviation. But
you could at least keep the symbolic abbreviations for major time
zones (we have 11 of them in Russia).

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru