[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 2 20:54:05 UTC 2016

On 06/02/2016 01:16 PM, Pavel V. Rochnyack wrote:
> I suppose what this argument, together with the previously listed
> arguments, is enough to set abbreviations in 'Asia/Tomsk' to NOVT/KRAT
> like already done in 'Asia/Novokuznetsk'.

This is the sort of thing we're trying to move away from. Abbreviations
like NOVT are our inventions and are rarely used outside the tzdata
context; we really can't defend them.

Another problem with abbreviations like NOVT is that their meanings
change with time. For example, NOVT stands for +06 now, but it stands
for +07 before October 2014, for +06 again before March 2011, etc. The
ambiguity of "NOVT" is atypical for English-language time zone
abbreviations, and this unexpected aspect of our invented abbreviations
can easily confuse non-experts.

In contrast, abbreviations like +06 and +07 are unambiguous.

> So remove the feature entirely.

That's not a practical option, as time zone abbreviations are a standard
part of ISO C, of POSIX, and of many programming systems that use a
tzcode-like interface, so we need to put *something* in there. Numeric
abbreviations are reasonable placeholders for zones lacking
well-supported English-language time zone abbreviations.