[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Fri Jun 3 14:16:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016, at 01:49, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > I certainly don't think "The US and Europe get
> > abbreviations and Russia does not" is reasonable.
>
> Quite right, the guideline should not pick on Russia, and that's not the
> intent.

The intent matters less than the effect. But in this case, the *intent*
seems quite clearly to be to favor English-speaking countries (or
countries whose timezones are more frequently talked about *in* English,
e.g. Western Europe) over non-English-speaking ones, otherwise we would
eventually use the numeric names everywhere rather than stating there
are no plans to remove [e.g.] EST.