[tz] Asia/Tomsk

Matt Johnson (PNP) matt.johnson at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 3 16:45:24 UTC 2016

>> If they were, more than one IANA zone might be sharing the same RTZ
>> number
>
> ...*that's the point*. Time zone abbreviations aren't supposed to
> identify IANA zones, they're supposed to identify real present-day
> timezones. Just like more than one IANA zone shares EST. This is a
> feature, not a bug.

Perhaps for IANA, if those are used in the abbreviation fields, I can understand that.  However for Windows it didn't make sense because it was part of the primary zone display name.  Similar to if IANA put them in the zone name directly.

I'd still want to be sure that these are not invented terms.

So would you recommend then that when Russia moved from 11 zones to 9 zones and back to 11 that the zones would be renumbered to correspond with those changes?  (eg, RTZ5 becoming RTZ6?)  And if so, is that what people in the region would have agreed with at the time?  Would they have said "we were in the 5th time zone, now we're in the 6th time zone" (in Russian) ?

-Matt