[tz] Java TZ Updater (was Morocco DST change)

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Mon Jun 6 02:18:14 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-05 17:21, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Gopal . wrote:
>> is it fine to update latest jar file of tzdata from 8u60, 7u95,
>> 6u111, or later or I need to update whole JDK as it would be major
>> operation to update full java.

> Sorry, we don't maintain jar files or TZUpdater or Java; Oracle does
> that. For detailed questions like that you may need to ask Oracle, or
> consult an Oracle expert.

You can download the Java TZ Updater from the JDK download page:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html
[you may need to sign up for OTN to get download access]
search for Java Time Zone Updater Tool, select the Download button,
check to accept the licence, select the zip URL to download,
unzip toextract tzupdater.jar, then run it as root, or from an elevated
Windows session with admin rights, using the Oracle/Sun JRE/JDK JVM:
     java -jar .../tzupdater.jar -u [-v] -l \
	http://www.iana.org/time-zones/repository/tzdata-latest.tar.gz
to update all Oracle/Sun JRE/JDK Java installations on that system.
*Note:* the options must be specified separately, not run together,
-v verbose is optional, -l supports only HTTP, not FTP, URLs for a
TZ *data* tar.gz.
The extracted README contains only a URL at which there is more info
about the tool.

TL;DR:
The Oracle TZ Updater creates its own /tmp/tz_tmp/ work directory
to store the download and extract its contents, to which it adds
copies of the old solar* TZ data files, some Oracle copyrighted
data files for JDK 1.1 backward compatibility, and a VERSION file.
It then updates the Java installations it can find with that data.
Attempting to redo the update complains the JVM already contains
that version of TZ data, and exits returning 1.