[tz] zdump new option -i for easier-to-review output

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Tue Jun 7 08:53:40 UTC 2016

I'm totally in favour of the pragmatic approach of assuming there isn't
crazy data. Let's try to design the format to accomplish what we need it to
- which to my mind doesn't include years earlier than 1800 or later than
3000 (and probably a narrower range than that - I currently only check up
to 2035, but that makes me somewhat nervous).

I'd rather have something that does what it's designed for well and doesn't
work for tasks it's not designed for than something that copes with
everything, but does so in a mediocre way.

I quite like Tim's padding idea overall, although I'd stlil argue for
colons in offsets (RFC5322 uses a horrible format in general; I see no
reason to copy mistakes of the past) and "d" instead of "a positive
integer" to indicate daylight. (My goal is for this to capture all the
relevant information from the original data text files, but the
implementation details of is_dst fall outside that scope IMO. That's not
part of the source data.)

I'm still fine with the idea of transforming some non-ideal-to-me format
from zdump into a more canonical format in a simple way though.

Jon