[tz] Chile time changed early?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu May 12 22:27:03 UTC 2016

On 05/12/2016 03:02 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:
> http://www.wsj.com/articles/what-time-is-it-in-chile-theres-no-telling-1463063085
>
> ... the only way I can think that this happened is that the cell towers were updated prematurely.

More likely, people are using phones with older Android releases that
have obsolete time zone data. A device based on tz2014j or earlier
should exhibit the bugs mentioned in the WSJ article. Although I don't
know how to map tz release numbers to Android release numbers, patches
such as this one:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/libcore/+/android-cts-5.0_r4

indicate that Google was laboring as late as December 2015 to push
tz2015a through its delivery pipeline, and undoubtedly many Android
phones run software older than that. Plus, many people don't update
their phones at all.

Ironically, just today I gave a lecture on how to shorten cycle times in
software pipelines when doing continuous delivery. Perhaps I should
follow up next week using tzdata as a case study....