[tz] zdump new option -i for easier-to-review output

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Mon May 30 21:06:00 UTC 2016

(To the list this time instead of just to Paul - sorry for the duplicate,
Paul.)

Thanks for your work on this, Paul. I'm about to go on vacation so I don't
know how popular I'd be with my spouse if I investigated this much further
this week, but I'm somewhat nervous about the readability for the sake of
compactness. I'd like to try a bunch of different formats, with examples
and sizes - using Noda Time to generate them just for the sake of making
this experimentation easier. I'd personally be willing to sacrifice a
certain amount of compactness for the sake of readability, but obviously if
we can get the size down a bit *without* losing readability, that would be
good. I'll try to come back with a document of options, at least within the
next couple of weeks.

I think it's fine for zdump not to bother with version information etc - it
should be easy enough to write code to add that later, so that zdump can
focus just on the time part of things.

I'm *personally* not bothered about the lack of leap second information -
my bias here is that Noda Time completely ignores leap seconds. (I view
them as rather separate from actual time zones anyway - I think if we were
thinking about systems from scratch I'd separate the two entirely, but
that's a different matter.)

Great to see progress on this though!

Jon