[tz] Cyprus is splitting into two time zones

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 09:42:05 UTC 2016

On 01/11/16 09:23, Andreas Heigl wrote:
> Am 01.11.16 um 10:15 schrieb Lester Caine:

>>> ? Cyprus is part of Europe and Greece and Turkey are further east so I
>>> was somewhat surprised to see it moved outside europe!
>>> https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cy.html
>>> if you want some documentation ...
>>
>> OK Geography is a little off, I still concider cyprus is part of the
>> island area around Greece, but if cyprus is not classified as part of
>> Europe then Turkey should also move to asia since that is designated as
>> 'Middle East' rather than 'Europe'. My point is on what basis is the
>> statement "Europe/Nicosia link was a mistake" made?
>>
> It should never have existed in the first place as the time was always
> linked to either greece (Europe/Athens) or Turkey (Asia/Istanbul)?

But the primary zone is Europe/Istanbul with Asia/Istanbul a link

> It's about the same reason why The Hopi-Reservation in Arizona doesn't
> have it's own timezone but uses America/Denver instead.

But at least it's data is in the right file. Cyprus is a part of the EU
so it's data currently is not ... but an explanation is all I'm looking
for ... I will keep Cyprus in the Europe location list anyway as that is
where it is expected to be found.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL