[tz] Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:24:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016, at 12:12, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 10/31/2016 01:39 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> > I wouldn't be surprised if similar practices exist in other
> > non-English speaking countries
>
> I'm afraid we don't have the resources to cover common practices in
> languages other than English, even if these languages use Latin-letter
> abbreviations that may have been derived from English originally. This
> sort of thing is better addressed by CLDR <http://cldr.unicode.org/>,
> which has a mandate to cover time zone abbreviations in non-English
> locales.

The simple fact is, they don't have a reference implementation of
strftime, and we do. Maybe it's time to step up.

Also, there's a difference between doing localization in general and
accepting a single abbreviation used in a single language that is not
English when there is no English abbreviation to conflict. We absolutely
do have the resources to do the latter, you just don't *want* to -
that's not the same thing.