[tz] Cyprus is splitting into two time zones

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 2 08:49:19 UTC 2016

    Date:        Wed, 2 Nov 2016 06:43:38 +0100
    From:        Andreas Heigl <andreas at heigl.org>

  | As far as I understood the timezonedb so far it's about making
  | the life of people easier.

That's not correct.   It is about documenting the different time zones
that exist.   If that happens to make life easier for someone or other,
that's just a fortunate by-product, it is not an objective.

  | When Istanbul has two entries due it's unclear state on being european
  | or asian,

That's not correct either.   For Istanbul (and Turkey as a whole) it is
very clear that it is both European and Asian.   That is, it (both Istanbul
and Turkey) straddles the divide between Europe and Asia.

I'm not going to comment on Cyprus, I don't understand either the geographic
or political issues involved - though I will say that membership of the EU
is irrelevant to our purposes.   Given enough time passing, that body may
grow to include almost anyone, whether they're geographically European or
not.

kre