[tz] Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 3 04:55:15 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016, at 14:07, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> I don't think CLDR can supply translation of +10 to VLAT without help
> from tzdb.  In fact, I don't think CLDR even supports abbreviations -
> it looks like they only localize TZID's such as Asia/Vladivostok.
> Note that many systems don't bother translating the abbreviations even
> when the rest of the date display is localized.

CLDR does support abbreviations, but a couple steps of indirection are
required.

You have to take the tzid and an effective date to find out the
"metazone", then the "metazone" knows what its abbreviations are. I've
advocated in the past for tz files to identify the metazone of each
transition because the CLDR should really not be responsible for keeping
this up to date.