[tz] Metazones in the tzdb (was Re: Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations)

Matt Johnson mj1856 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 17:56:44 UTC 2016

> My main point is that it should have the same release cycle as the rest of

> tzdata, so that they won't fall out of sync, whether by creation of an
> entirely new zone that CLDR doesn't know about, or moving one to a
> different 'metazone'. This happens all the time and it only doesn't
> cause problems because nobody actually uses the data

Well, I use it.
https://github.com/mj1856/TimeZoneNames

Others use it too and I've commented on the release cycle problems before, in issues like this one:
https://github.com/nodatime/nodatime/issues/473

Oh, you meant something mainstream, well:
http://site.icu-project.org/

And I believe that's used by many major browsers, Chrome, FireFox, Edge, etc.

> Incidentally, is there a CLDR mailing list? I feel like they should be a
> part of this, since what I'm suggesting is essentially a transfer of
> "ownership" of part of the data they currently maintain.

Yes:

More details here:
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html