[tz] Daylight saving in Trkey problem

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 4 19:00:55 UTC 2016

On 11/03/2016 11:16 PM, Caner Aydinbey wrote:
> i need to do sha512, i do as described but it doesnot work.

I guess Oracle's TZUpdater tool normally checks your tzdata updates
against a central server maintained by Oracle, and verifies that your
update matches a checksum on file with the central server. This prevents
users from installing their own changes (and also poses some interesting
privacy and security implications -- did you know about that central
server?).

If I'm right, it sounds like you could fix things by running a shell
command like this:

sha512sum tzdata2016g.tar.gz | awk '{print $1}' >tzdata2016g.tar.gz.sha512

just before running TZUpdater. Here 'sha512sum' is the GNU core
utilities SHA-512 checksummer and 'awk' is POSIX Awk. The documentation
in
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tzupdater-readme-136440.html
is unclear about this, though. For clarity, please ask Oracle tech
support, as this mailing list is a generic one and we aren't expert in
Oracle's quirks.

You might also consider upgrading to 2016i instead of bothering with 2016g.