[tz] NetBSD vs Darwin timezone API (was: tzdata2016g missing version info)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 10 22:44:24 UTC 2016

On 11/10/2016 02:04 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
>> I don't see an easy way around this problem with the current Darwin API.
> With the current*UNIX*  API.

The NetBSD API gives applications a way to get an immutable time zone
object, so that multiple operations like localtime_rz and mktime_z can
use consistent rules. This was originally designed for multithreading
(so that different threads can be in different time zones) but it also
has the property that time zone rules don't change once determined
(which helps performance). Emacs uses this API if available, so Emacs
should be reasonably immune to these races on NetBSD.

NetBSD doesn't look for changes to the installed tz binary files, as
Darwin does. If the NetBSD API were implemented atop Darwin, perhaps the
Darwin tzalloc operation should have a flag specifying whether the
caller wants the time zone object to be immutable or potentially updated
after every call.

Come to think of it, perhaps we should add a options arg to the
reference tzalloc too (for compatibility we'd define a new function like
tzalloc but with an option arg). One option could be whether the
implementation should revisit the installed tz binary file every time
localtime_rz or mktime_z is called (for efficiency perhaps it could use
file notification on systems where that works well). Another option,
while we're on the topic, could be whether to count leap seconds. I'll
CC: this to Christos Zoulas (the NetBSD time guru) to see whether he
thinks this sort of thing would be a good idea.

> I don't know what Emacs is trying to compute, but perhaps there needs to be an API that atomically gives it what it's trying to compute

Emacs is inferring the daylight-saving rules by making multiple calls to
localtime. Essentially, Emacs wants a consistent and complete snapshot
of the current rule set for all times from now into the indefinite
future. Unfortunately, the API to support this sort of thing would be
complicated.