[tz] tzdata2016g missing version information

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 3 15:39:55 UTC 2016

On 10/03/2016 02:17 AM, Dempsey, Peter wrote:
> The tzdata file published on the IANA site needs to include the
> VERSION information so that this tool can work. When do you think this
> can be provided?

The version information is provided in the time zone distribution now.
It's just not in the (old, undocumented, and flaky) form that the Oracle
tool was expecting. We plan to figure out some way of providing the
version information in a documented and supported way. When that
happens, the current Oracle tool likely still won't work, because it
won't support whatever way we develop. So it will need to be modified as
well. When all this happens, everything will start working nicely again.

There is no schedule for this: among other things I do not set Oracle's
schedule and as far as I know nobody has written or tested any code yet.
Please remember that this is a volunteer project. In the meantime you
can use the workaround I mentioned in
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-September/024221.html>.