[tz] tzdist and tz at iana

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 8 01:20:54 UTC 2016

On 09/07/2016 05:40 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> As far as I can tell, vzic produces a single RFC 2445 vztimezone
> specification for each IANA zone.  All generated .ics files have the
> same DTSTART set to 19700101T000000 and RFC 7808 TZUNTIL property is
> not supported at all.

Thanks, I didn't know about these limitations. So it's a subset of what
RFC 7808 envisions.

> what I had in mind was that zic could implement the RFC 7808 "expand"
> action <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7808#section-5.4> which is not
> implemented in vzic.

Is the idea that a web server would wait for a request about some
particular range of time zone data, and then fire up an instance of zic
to generate just that data? That sounds slow.

Or were you thinking of making zic a long-running process, or caching
its results via something like Squid? Something like that might be
doable. It sounds reasonably ambitious....