[tz] tzdist and tz at iana

Michael Douglass mikeadouglass at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:39:11 UTC 2016

On 9/7/16 16:03, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu
> <mailto:eggert at cs.ucla.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> IANA doesn't have the resources to serve billions of clients.
>
> That's clear, but adding an option to zic to generate timezone data in
> tzdist format may not be out of reach.  Ideally, tzcode would include a
> reference implementation of an RFC 7808 "Time Zone Data Server".  Wasn't
> such a reference implementation created by the tzdist group?

Also the assumption was always that relatively few servers would contact
the root service and provide a service to their clients. We built
support into the protocol so that we could have primary and secondary
servers.

The assumption was something like vendors providing their own service
for their products with only a few - perhaps registered - servers
contacting the root.