[tz] Time zone change in Turkey - lzip

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Tue Sep 20 23:29:10 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-20 13:01, Random832 wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016, at 13:26, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> NetBSD has made gunzip detect the compressed format so -z just works. It
>> is a trivial change, and friendly to the user.
>
> I haven't even had to use z in years - OSX and GNU tar both detect the
> compressed format (GNU uses the filename extension, so this won't work
> in a pipeline or if the file has the wrong name).

tar documents the compressed formats accepted:
        -I, --use-compress-program=COMMAND
               Filter data through COMMAND. It must accept the -d option, for
               decompression. The argument can contain command line options.
        -j, --bzip2
               Filter the archive through bzip2(1).
        -J, --xz
               Filter the archive through xz(1).
        --lzip Filter the archive through lzip(1).
        --lzma Filter the archive through lzma(1).
        --lzop Filter the archive through lzop(1).
        --no-auto-compress
               Do not use archive suffix to determine the compression program.
        -z, --gzip, --gunzip, --ungzip
               Filter the archive through gzip(1).
        -Z, --compress, --uncompress
               Filter the archive through compress(1).

but requires the de-/compressors be installed in your PATH;
it forks a process to run the de-/compressor on a pipe.