[tz] lzip Re: tz-2016g.tar.gz and Oracle Java Timezone Updater

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 28 19:30:22 UTC 2016

On 09/28/2016 04:42 AM, vanadovv at hetnet.nl wrote:
> At the moment this seems to be the only way to play with Bash and other Linux tools on a Windows computer.

Yes, I suggested Bash for Windows only for bleeding-edge MS-Windows
developers. For non-bleeding-edge, ezwinports and Cygwin are better
choices. As I'm sure you know the tz project has always assumed a
POSIX-like environment and there's unlikely to be a native MS-Windows
port any time soon, so some set of non-Microsoft tools will be needed
for MS-Windows developers who don't want to be on the bleeding edge.

One other porting note that we ran into behind the scenes with 2016g: to
generate a distribution tarball exactly in the same format of the
standard distribution, your tar needs to support options like
--numeric-owner. For example, because macOS bsdtar lacks these options,
although it generates working tarballs these tarballs aren't
byte-for-byte identical to the distributed tarballs. This is important
for those who need reproducible builds.