[tz] tzdata2016g missing version information

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 09:17:00 UTC 2016

On 28/09/16 23:24, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2016, Paul Eggert wrote:
>
>> On 09/28/2016 11:28 AM, Howard Hinnant wrote:
>>> The version file does not appear in the uncompressed tzdata2016g database.
>>
>> It is in the tzdb-2016g.tar.lz and tzcode2016g.tar.gz tarballs, so you
>> can grab it from there for now. I omitted it from the data tarball
>> because it is not needed for data. This was done as part of the patch
>> for more-accurate release numbers circulated on Sept. 5
>> <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-September/024054.html>.
>
> I think it makes much more sense to put it in the data file, then in the
> code file. The data file (or its contents) is what is being distributed,
> and hence the versioning of that makes IMO more sense.

It looks like the patch adds the version to both the tzcode and tzdata
tarballs, although the NEWS item only mentions tzcode, and the patch
description only mentions tzdata!

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk> )=-
-=(                          Web: http://www.mev.co.uk/  )=-