[tz] Are tzdata2016g & tzdata-latest missing the VERSION file?

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 19:33:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Yes, bumping the release could be done automatically or semiautomatically
> as part of a release procedure, along the lines that Paul Koning suggested.
> But this would mean that the only time the repository Makefile's version
> number would be correct would be near the time of a release; at most other
> points of time the version number would be wrong, and this would be
> confusing.

This is not a new problem nor is it specific to this project.  The approach
that I described has been used by the CPython project for years.  The only
difference is that the version is specified in configure.ac and then
propagated to Makefile through a series of build steps.  See <
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/92fc774fcdb1fccd9eb520e7394d4463536cc2f2/configure.ac#L5
>.

> Also, it would mean that bumping the release would not be an atomic
> operation, as it is now.

My suggestion is slightly different from Paul Koning's.  I suggest that the
version in Makefile is bumped *after* the release is tagged and the work on
the next release starts.  This is more inline with generally accepted
versioning schemes where pre-release versions have the prefix corresponding
to the next rather than previous release.   See for example <
http://semver.org/#spec-item-9>.  Bumping the release is still an atomic
operation: once the tag is created a final release can be built.  Anything
built before that is a pre-release.