[tz] Potted history of timekeeping from the BBC

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Tue Apr 4 11:43:23 UTC 2017

This is from a series of things that made the modern economy, it says on
the web page:

Tick tock: The importance of knowing the right time:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39129620

In one short page it manages to mention everything but DST :) and it
includes a picture of Harrison No 1.  (If you're ever near Greenwich I
recommend visiting the Royal Observatory, taking the obligatory
foot-in-both-hemispheres selfie and then going to look at the clocks.)

>From the BBC web page though, I particularly noticed this:

> Some financiers recently calculated it was worth spending $300m (£247m) drilling through mountains between Chicago and New York to lay fibre-optic cables in a slightly straighter line. That sped up communication between the two cities' exchanges by three milliseconds.

jch