[tz] MS-Windows 10 and New Zealand yesterday

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 3 18:35:59 UTC 2017

Chris Keall of the National Business Review (New Zealand) reports that
laptops and phones running Microsoft Windows 10 missed the end of
daylight saving time in New Zealand yesterday. Microsoft Windows 7
laptops operated correctly. This leads me to think that the problem has
something to do with the tz database, as MS-Windows 7 does not use
tzdata whereas MS-Windows 8.1 and later use tzdata, at least in some
cases. Does anyone have technical information about why the glitch
happened? Is there some way we can help avoid it in the future?

Keall C. Living in the past: Windows 10 fails to update for end of
daylight saving. NBR 2017-04-03.
https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/living-past-windows-10-fails-update-end-daylight-saving-ck-201449