[tz] Reason for removal of several TZ

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Sun Dec 3 13:05:27 UTC 2017

Hi guys,

Almost a year ago, commit 2999bb5bee719acbba8b9dd50fb9fb00c7788623
removed several TZ abbreviations and I'm trying to understand this.

For my own use, what I'm after is WGT/WGST which are now "simply -03".

WGT/WGST has been in tzdata for a long time, so the removal causes
certain things to go belly up. The change was only implemented in Ubuntu
recently, which is why this only turned into a problem for me now.

WGT/WGST seems to be a widely accepted abbreviation for the West
Greenland Time zone. So can someone explain to me the reason behind the
removal and what would needed to get it re-implemented?

Thanks.

/Thomas