[tz] Reason for removal of several TZ abbreviations

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Tue Dec 5 19:31:05 UTC 2017

<<On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 19:21:04 -0500, Michael Douglass <mikeadouglass at gmail.com> said:

> Then we can stop having these long arguments about why one name or
> another isn't in the tz data. Everybody is free to generate their own
> list if they so wish.

Everybody is free to do that now.

The truth is that the names of tz regions have effectively formed a
public interface that users have relied upon for more than two
decades.  (And no, telling people "just use some GUI picker" does not
help the network administrator who needs to know what zone name to
write in dhcpd.conf files on three continents.)

-GAWollman