[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Michael Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 8 08:03:58 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-08 06:38, Paul Eggert wrote:

> +# Rule	NAME	FROM	TO	TYPE	IN	ON	AT	SAVE	LETTER/S
> +Rule	Eire	1971	only	-	Oct	31	 2:00u	-1:00	GMT

   I'm a bit surprised that it seems to be so easy to extend the
   input format for zic (negative SAVE values) -- in other cases,
   a lot more lead time has been allowed for (eg, %z in FORMATs).

   Be that as it may, such extensions must be documented. For
   instance, the description (from zic(8))

        SAVE
        Gives the amount of time to be added to local standard time
        when the rule is in effect.  This field has the same format as
        the AT field (although, of course, the w and s suffixes are not
        used).

   needs to be changed -- unless we want to allow for negative
   AT values as well. Do we?

   Michael Deckers.

---