[tz] Zone ID in binary (was Re: Version in zoneinfo files?)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Feb 10 18:03:02 UTC 2017

On 02/10/2017 09:09 AM, Steven R. Loomis wrote:
> FWIW CLDR uses LOCODE for tzids in locale ids

The LOCODE scheme suffers from the problem of politics. For example, the
CLDR code for Europe/Simferopol is "uasip", which gives the appearance
of taking a political position that Crimea is part of Ukraine as opposed
to Russia.

I suppose we could come up with a different scheme that uses
less-emotionally-charged abbreviations. As I recall, someone suggested
IATA airport codes a while ago; unfortunately they do not suffice for
locations like Pacific/Pitcairn where the nearest IATA airport is not in
the same time zone. Which reminds me: I still need to clean out invented
time zone abbreviations like PNT from the "australasia" file.