[tz] Magallanes region from Chile will keep DST all year round

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 20 03:27:20 UTC 2017

Juan Correa wrote:
> the decree says "Magallanes region shall be on DST until May
> 2019 transition"

If we interpret the decree modification as written, Magallanes is scheduled to
change from -03 to -04 on 2019-05-11 at 24:00, which will be one hour after
Santiago is scheduled to change from -03 to -04. Surely this is not intended.
For now, it's simpler to assume the change will be permanent, or at least as
permanent as anything regarding clocks in Chile. Proposed patch attached.

I've installed this patch into the development repository on GitHub, and anybody
who needs the Magallanes change now can use that repository. I'm reluctant to
generate a new tz version just for this, as it's far enough in the future that
it's likely we'll need to generate a new release for other reasons anyway.