[tz] [PROPOSED] Use more up-to-date citation for leap seconds

Tue Jul 18 05:10:42 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-17 18:46, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Matthew Donadio wrote:
>> Wouldhttp://www.ursi.org/content/RSB/RSB_359_2016_12.pdf  be a better
>> reference?  I know the article is open access on IEEE Xplore, but wouldn't
>> the URSI one be canonical and always available?
> The URSI URL is for the entire issue, which is a bit off-putting. I doubt
> whether the IEEE Xplore version will go away any time soon; if it does, we can
> redirect.
> Ironically, the canonical URL does not work:
> https://doi.org/10.23919/URSIRSB.2016.7909995
> I filed a bug report for that.

ISTM the canonical regulatory definition document is ITU-R TF.460, updated
2002-02, where it documents that UT1-UTC should not exceed 0.9s, the deviation
of UT1==UTC+DUT1 should not exceed 0.1s, the magnitude of DUT1 should not exceed
0.8s, and authorizes the determination of these and announcement of leap seconds
by IERS. It is available from:
https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/tf/R-REC-TF.460-6-200202-I!!PDF-E.pdf
from:
https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-TF.460-6-200202-I/en
https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-TF.460/en
https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-TF/en
produced by:
http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/study-groups/rsg7/rwp7a

Background and history (with authority for use of UTC as civil time explained in
sections 9 and 10) available from:
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/time/metrologia-leapsecond.pdf